Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Invasion of the Gremlin Grocery Bags

Which do you think there are more of on this planet: people or plastic grocery bags? The way the baggers at my grocery store use them, I'd think the bags outweigh the people two to one.

Does anyone else absolutely hate the amount of bags used for groceries? By the time I get home and start unpacking, the bags have managed to multiply like gremlins. I know stores have a spot to return your used bags, but who ever really does it? I'm lucky if I remember to bring my shopping list with me.

So I've found a solution. Most stores are now offering reusuable heavier duty plastic bags. In my opinion, the Whole Foods ones are the best. They're made from 80% post-consumer waste and are fairly large--I believe I bought them for a dollar a piece. I keep these bags in my car since I usually go grocery shopping last minute. I throw them in my shopping cart or the underneath section and then just ask the bagger to use them instead of the gremlin ones. (It probably is good for meats to be put in old school bags, though, since sometimes the packages leak.)

Recently, I began to take my anti-gremlin bag lifestyle a step further. I found that I also hated getting plastic bags when I went to Kohls and Walmart and, well, anywhere--even my mom will give me stuff in a plastic bag when I visit her (a ploy to lower her own stash of gremlins). Now I bring my Whole Foods bags in with me to any shopping store. I'm sure the cashiers snicker as I walk away after asking for my new pair of expensive jeans to be thrown into a bag where potatoes and brown rice just were, but I can feel good about myself. And soon, hopefully, I'm not the only one.

No comments: