Thursday, March 27, 2008

At the Airport

On Tuesday I was unable to write as I was at the airport--and what a topic to think about environmentally...
First stop: bag check-in: When you receive your printed ticket, you receive an envelope to "store" it in. How long do you actually need to store it? Until you get on the plane. Then you toss it. My question is whether they need to give the ticket in that envelope. Think of how many they must go through in a day or even an hour! On my return flight home, I will ask not to have one.
Next stop: getting through security: With the new no-liquids-law, people are having to dump their half drunken bottles of water and brand new bottles of shampoo. Okay, it's their fault for not knowing they can't make it through security with these things, but have you seen what you're supposed to do with your containers? Throw them in the trash, liquid and all. To my knowledge, there is not an area to empty liquids and there is not a trash sorter bin for recyclable, which almost 100% of those liquid-containing containers are.
Last stop (for now): on the airplane: cups, cups, and more cups. Yes, I'm back to my lecture on plastic cups. On the airplane, you are offered a drink (about 1 sip) of pop in a cup with ice. Afterward (aka an hour after you've finished your beverage and are sitting there holding it waiting for the flight attendant to come around with a trash bag), your cup gets tossed away with a random assortment of other recyclables as well as banana peels, half eaten sandwiches, and possibly a barf bag or two. Do you think they spend the time to sort through the trash? I will ask on my flight home because, again, there are hundreds of flights a day 365 days a year. That's a lot of those little cups being flown across the world to be dumped in a landfill hundreds of miles away. What I like to do is buy my own beverage from a newspaper store at the airport (yes, it's about $4) and then I have the power both to recycle it once I reach my destination, as well as to take sips from it whenever I'm thirsty and stow it away under my seat when I'm not.
Happy flying!

No comments: