Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Have Garbage, Will Travel (with it)

Recycling can sound so easy. But what keeps people from doing it? I think it's convenience--or lack of it. Just the other day I was eating a sample at Jamba Juice that came in a tiny plastic cup. When I finished, I asked if they recycled--they didn't. Here's where I think people feel they have no choice but to toss that piece of plastic in the garbage: when there's no recycling bin in site. There is another option--take it with you. The container I had was just a tiny one intended for condiments and only had a soft pretzel in it. I easily set it on the floor of my car and drove off with it. Sounds silly? Sure, but I've done it many times. Once I'm at home, I drop my recyclable trash in my recycling bin--easy as that.

Is it always possible to recycle everything? No. If I've eaten something especially messy, I might not want to have it in my car and do end up tossing it in a garbage, but most times, it's definitely doable.

This is not only true for food containers, but papers as well: shopping lists, MapQuests, etc. So next time you're out and about and see no recycling bin in site, think about whether you can take it with you.

No comments: