Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Hamburger, Hold Everything I Won't Eat

Happy Earth day. As a teacher, I've been asked what I plan to do with my class. Although we won't ignore it, I don't consider earth day a one day a year phenomenon. That's like saying today is math day. We'll learn math today and not worry about it the rest of the year. Instead, I hope that my class has been learning how to cut down on the waste we produce and sometimes reuse it or recycle it. Here's my tip this week...


Think about a meal you often order when eating out. Imagine what your plate looks like at the end of the meal--what's still left on the plate, week after week: the tomato on your cheeseburger? the lettuce from your buffalo chicken sandwich? the tartar sauce from your fish sticks? For the most part, we know what we'll like and won't like from a restaurant, especially if you order the same dish repeatedly. How about requesting the items you know you won't eat be left off the plate?


If you're trying a new dish or restaurant, you can also ask what comes with the dish or as a garnish. Although it might take the cook an extra millisecond to read the order, really, having them hold the side of sour cream is also saving them money.

No comments: