Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Make-Up Round Up


Ladies…do you own enough old make-up to fill a landfill? I never want to throw away my old eye shadows, lipsticks, and powders in the off change they 1) come back in style 2) magically become flattering 3) don’t make me break out in hives.

Recently, during a spring cleaning phase, I decided to organize my toiletry pantry. I pulled together all the old make-up I had stored away for years and years. I had enough to beautify a small country. Unfortunately, there was a reason each project had ended up filed away. It was useless.

After slapping my own wrists for being so wasteful, I decided it was time to pitch it. Ideally, it would be reused, as, after reducing, it is the most important of the 4R’s. Luckily, I was able to give away a small portion to people I knew, but I still had a truckload of products that were too old for human application.

What to do? After searching online for how to recycle toiletries, I discovered that the company Origins will take used make-up containers (eye shadow containers, lipstick tubes, compacts, etc.). Since Origins preferred the containers to be clean, I began emptying out my eye shadows and powder trays. I must say, the lipsticks were a nightmare to clean out. After using almost an entire roll of paper towels on one lipstick, I felt it would be more ecological to just give the tube to them with the lipstick still inside.

Origins was thrilled with all my empty containers. They actually gave me a huge tub of lotion, they were so excited. It felt great to clean out my pantry and not dump everything into the garbage where hundreds of years from now they will still be discovered intact.

Although I was happy with the outcome of the situation, I did learn a good lesson: don’t buy navy eye shadow in the first place.

Here are two good links on recycling make-up and toiletries:
Origins Recycling Program: http://www.origins.com/about/index.tmpl?page=recfaq
Ideas for how to recycle toiletries: http://www.recyclethis.co.uk/search/?cx=partner-pub-8628783556283904%3A3g3qh3-7knu&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=tolietries&siteurl=www.recyclethis.co.uk%2Fabout#913
(Of special note is how one person reused the ball from deodorants to make earrings.)

No comments: