Monday, February 1, 2010

Help! I Have an Idea but No Paper!

Writers: Have you ever had the idea for the next bestseller when there was no paper or computer in site? If you’re like me, you told yourself, “This idea is so great, I definitely won’t forget it.” Of course, five minutes later, it’s gone.

I thought I’d offer some creative ideas for holding onto your thoughts for later use.

“Help! I’m Trapped on the Highway with a Great Idea in my Head!”: I have found keeping a hand-held tape recorder on the passenger seat can really come in handy. I actually completed a whole freelance assignment on my way to Indianapolis once using it. Tip: I always date my entries. This helps 1. When I transcribe them, I have some idea of when they’re from. 2. Because I use an old-fashioned audio tape that I rewind and reuse, there are old entries that will still play after the new ones. This can get confusing. By dating the entries, I can tell when the older ones begin. If you don’t want to invest in a tape recorder, you can also call your home or cell and leave a message with the idea. Of course, regardless of how you do it, always use safe driving practices. No idea is worth injuring yourself or others.

“Help! I’m Trapped in the Car with my Napping Baby and no Paper!”: This is my newest writing challenge. If my baby falls asleep in the car during designated nap time, I let her sleep until she wakes. This often means arriving at my destination but having to sit in the parking lot for forty-five minutes to an hour. After twiddling my thumbs a few times, I learned this was a great opportunity to get some writing done or even just brainstorm. Now I don’t leave home without a chapter of my manuscript to work on and/or blank paper. (I also pack a book I’m reading as research.)

“Help! I’m Trapped in a Meeting but my Mind is Feeling Creative!” I used to get my best ideas during meetings, conferences, seminars, and workshops. I used to jot them down in the margins of my meeting notes--never to be seen again. Now I try to keep a second piece of paper beneath my notes that I flip to to write my ideas/thoughts. It also looks like I’m taking wonderful notes on the speaker’s topic.

“Help! I’m Out and About and Have no Paper on Me!” This has happened to me while sitting in the bleachers of a basketball game. Women, rummage through your purse; men, try your wallet. There’s bound to be an old receipt, business card, or something similar. Otherwise, look around your location: are there any pamphlets or flyers? How about napkins? (Isn’t that what J.K. Rowling used to write Harry Potter?) You can even write on your hand if you’re desperate. If you have a smartphone, you can also call or email yourself.

“Help! I’m Trapped in the Shower with my Idea!” Sorry, no clue to help you with this one. Any suggestions?

“Help! I’m in Bed Already and too Lazy to Write Down my Idea!” Here’s where I usually try to convince myself I’ll just remember it in the morning. No way. Try keeping paper by your bedside. I have become quite good at writing in the dark. All you really need are some key words that will jog your memory later.

One last tip: If you’re with someone else in your unfortunate paperless situation, see if they’re willing to help you out. Sometimes my husband won’t remember what I told him, but will 1. remember that I told him to remember something or 2. remember one word, which is often sufficient.

If you have a handy tip, please share.

1 comment:

Kelly Polark said...

Great tips. When I'm walking/running in my neighborhood, I sometimes come up with ideas, then try and remember to write them down when I get back to the house!