Wednesday, December 3, 2008

My Newest Office Mate

Presenting Luna Miel--my on-task manager.

My husband and I adopted Luna from a DeKalb shelter after seeing her picture on petfinder.com. Having a puppy in the house is like having a newborn baby. My life schedule was put on hold as I needed to be sure I was home to take Luna out every three hours and was pulled every which way as she chased any squirrel we saw on our "walk."

Luna has been a lot of fun, though. She loves to run and hop around the yard, crawl all over us, and play with her toys. She doesn't care if I wear sweatpants all day, "forget" to put on my makeup, or decide to sit at my computer eating a whole bag of candy corn.

But Luna still needs to be watched any time she's out of her kennel, which is how she got assigned the role as my on-task office manager. Often she choses to fall asleep right by my feet as I'm writing. At first this was annoying; if I got up to eat or procrastinate, she would follow me. I was forced to sit there and work if I wanted her to stay asleep and out of trouble. That's when I realized I was actually getting writing done. Regardless to whether I wanted to get up and abandon my computer, it was easier just to sit there and type.

So, two months later, I have a completed novel--a novel that had been stuck in a drawer for a couple of months before I got her. I have no choice than to thank my silly four-legged friend. So, writer friends: are you having trouble sitting down and writing? Adopt a puppy! :)

For those folks that are serious as to wanting to adopt an animal, petfinder.com is a great resource. Something I learned later, however, is that you really should talk with an expert about what kind of dog would be good with your family dynamic.

No comments: